Saturday 17 March 2012

gallery wall 2nd instalment

Continuing from my first post about my new gallery wall.
Sorry if you've seen some of them before, but for me, my blog is an online diary and I just like to catalogue stuff (I should have been a librarian !).

I did a guest post over at A Place 2 Call Home recently and showed this piece of beach junk.


I've hung it on the wall,  just as it is, because I love the patina so much.


I wanted something similar for the other side, so I created this little piece.


I just glued one piece of wood to another, then put a rusty nail through the rusty 'thing' and bent it round to hold in place.


Then, I slipped this old metal piece through the middle.
For some reason, I have given myself a rule with the beach junk. That is, that I can paint it, glue it to something, add pieces together and change it, but never to cut it up. I feel that if I cut it to fit something, then I have taken away the value of a piece of beach junk.
It washed up on the shore having been worn by time and the elements and I only want to enhance it, not destroy it.

You still here, I am not sure telling you all my off the wall thoughts is a good idea but I'm impressed if you've stayed.

Anyway, here it is on the gallery wall, where it balances out the larger piece on the other side.




I also bought this £3 pine frame, to show off some of my favourite things, because I couldn't find a box frame this size and shape. 


I painted it grey, and distressed and waxed it, then stuck the pieces onto the glass.

I thought I might just have no background at all, in the hope that it would look like the pieces were floating. This didn't work, so I used some photocopies of fish, which needed a few adjustments to fit behind the glass, and then just put it all together.





The shell in the middle, is just so lovely and worn. The silver pipe has a real softness to it, and I love the circuit board with tiny molluscs.


I'm loving all the grey tones - grey may be the new white in this house.
And because this is on the left side, I also did a grey frame for the right side. I bought this at the local charity shop for £5.


had to buy this, because the frame is great, but also because it's the Hight Street, Sevenoaks, Kent  - where I grew up. This photograph is from 1920 and that building on the corner is now a jewellers !

I kept the photo, but used the frame for a print belonging to the old geezer. He lived in Tenerife for four years and wanted to keep this momento of Puerto de la Cruz.


The print isn't square at all, so I did the best I could, and played about with the frame till it looked ok.




I have been collecting all this stuff for quite sometime. Some things I have made for no cost at all, and the ampersand I already had, but I have worked out that the whole cost for everything is £61, which for 16 items isn't bad at all.

Every time I walk in the room I feel seriously happy with the result.



There is one picture left - I'll leave that for another day !

An ascp finished project coming soon !!


Linking up with
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors


3 comments:

  1. I would't be surprised if soon we see the Fiona beach junk collection in a gallery. The two rusty things seriously great, and I love the frame stuff. Looking forward to hearing about what you think of the ascp.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite is the flotsam with the fish behind! I seriously want to do something like that! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so savvy about putting a new spin on found, old, or gifted pieces, giving them a second chance, a redo 'reincarnation', if you will! A wonderful collection of art you've started, Fiona!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !